Friday 15 July 2011

Basement Jaxx vs Metropole Orkest at the Barbican

Yesterday I woke up wondering how it could be Thursday already?!?! My week had just flown by and I was a little upset but then I remembered I was going to see Basement Jaxx vs Metropole Orkest in the evening.

What an amazing show!!! Everything about it was outstanding. I had never been to the Barbican before and had heard that it was all seating and no standing so I didn't know how the artists would be able to get energy from the crowd. Also, how was I going to dance if the music should take me? Would fist pumping in my seat be ok? But when it came to it, everyone was standing and dancing at some point anyway  especially after Vula said "you can stand up you know", nobody had to be offered twice.

Highlights for me were 'My Turn' and 'Lights Go Down'. The singers- Sharlene Hector, Lisa Kekaula, Vula Malinga, Brendan Reilly and Le Gateau Chocolat voice's were so powerful, Le Gateau Chocolat's was even more powerful than the image of him in his gold skin-tight all-in-one with heels... When the orchestra was playing the instrumentals we also had dancers/ contortionists  to watch. Lil Buck and Jennifer White were really talented, dancing in HipHop and Ballet styles and then switching halfway through showed their versatility.

Jules Buckley was a great conductor drawing energy from the Metropole Orkest and the Crouch End Festival Choir. Hearing how sweet choirs sound together always make me want to be part of one, if only I could sing... And seeing conductors at work always make me wonder how they look on the dance floor on a night out?

All in all, a very good night! They'll be back tonight at the Barbican and are having a free party after the show, you should try to get down there if not then grab the album.

 

Thanks to Kamran for the heads up for this concert!!
J Moles x

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Nice one hun! It was a great night and it was EPIC!!! Unique collaborations and eclectic musical events are what the Barbican is good at doing! Great review, honest and a good read - well done! I can't believe I didn't read this earlier!

    ReplyDelete